Manual Handling Principals and Practices (RQF Level 2 / SCQF Level 5)
We at SafeCert Awards provide the accreditation service through our awarding body to provide our accredited trainers and accredited centres a range of Health and Safety Awards.
The Manual Handling Principles and Practice course is designed to provide you with the knowledge and understanding to equip those in the workplace with the necessary skills and knowledge to undertake manual handling tasks during their working day. The qualification can be tailored to suit any business including the needs of the individual, enhancing the learning experience and making the content relevant and fit for purpose. The duration of this qualification must be a minimum of 6 hours.
The award has one unit with 4 learning outcomes as follows:
- Understand the reasons for safe manual handling
- Outline the potential injuries and ill health associated with incorrect manual handling
- Outline employers and employees duties relating to manual handling at work
- Outline the consequences for non-compliance with health and safety requirements at work
- Understand how manual handling risk assessments contribute to improving health and safety
- Explain the terms ‘hazard’ and ‘risk’ in the context of manual handling work
- Outline the process for carrying out a manual handling risk assessment
- Describe the principles of the risk control hierarchy when applied to manual handling
- Understand the principles, types of equipment and testing requirements associated with manual handling safety
- Describe safe movement principles associated with manual handling
- Outline the types of equipment designed to be used for manual handling tasks
- Outline the requirements for the testing, servicing and examination of manual handling and lifting equipment
- Be able to apply safe manual handling award
- Demonstrate efficient and safe manual handling principles when:
- applying effort to, or moving a load or object manually on their own
- when using manual handling aids and equipment
- when undertaking a manual handling task as part of a team
The qualification is valid for 3 years and all learners will be assessed for their practical skills as well as their knowledge in the form of a multiple choice question paper.